Sweet and sour chicken
Sweet and sour chicken.
Sweet and sour chicken is a typical Chinese-American dish or snack. Chicken is essentially breaded and deep-fried white meat chicken strips.
- 1/2 chicken, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 slice canned pineapple
- 1/4 cup rred wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- Dash of pepper
- Oil for deep-frying
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 3 tablespoons water
Cut the chicken into 1-inch squares. Slice the pineapple into 1-inch pieces. In a small bowl combine the vinegar, sugar, water, soy sauce and pepper.
Deep-fry the chicken in oil heated to 375 degrees for 5 minutes or until done. In a hot skillet or wok add 2 tablespoons of the oil and salt. Just before the oil begins to smoke, add the garlic and stir until the garlic has become pungent. Add the vinegar mixture to the pan and bring to a boil. Add the carrots, bell pepper and pineapple. Add the cornstarch mixture. Stir until the sauce has thickned slightly. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
This Sweet and sour chicken will delight you!!!
A little bit of the ingredients of this recipe Sweet and sour chicken. :
- Ananas comosus (pineapple) is a species in the bromeliad family, native to South America. Small plant with hard and lanceolate leaves up to 1 m long, it bears fruit once a year producing a single fragrant and sweet fruit, highly appreciated in gastronomy.
- 7 benefits of pineapple:
- 1. Source of vitamins and minerals
It has vitamin A, 58 IU, vitamin C 48 mg, vitamin B6, Potassium 109 mg, dietary fiber, calcium 13 mg, magnesium, copper, manganese and folic acid. It also has and small amounts of iron.
2. Contains the enzyme bromelain
This enzyme is found only in pineapple and its function is to break down proteins. Bromelain is traditionally used in countries where pineapples were abundant as an anti-inflammatory remedy. Laboratory studies have shown that bromelain reduces inflammation and strengthens the immune system. Its effect to improve gut health, facilitate skin healing, and reduce cancer risk is being investigated. Studies in animals show that bromelain in pineapple can help in the treatment of diseases of the digestive system.
Helps reduce intestinal inflammation. By facilitating the digestion of protein it is useful for people prone to heavy digestions after a protein rich meal such as meat dishes. Bromelain is beneficial in cases of constipation, dyspepsia, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and inflammatory bowel disease.
- 3. Rich in antioxidants
Like anthocyanins, a type of flavonoids (plant metabolites). Anthocyanins are water soluble pigments found in fruits and vegetables. They are what gives a wide variety of colors fruits and vegetables. Anthocyanins have been shown to have beneficial effects on human health. Anthocyanins are related to the prevention of diseases like those of the heart.
- 4. Pineapple juice can be used to tenderize meat.
Due to its bromelain content, pineapple juice or if you have pineapple leftovers, you can use them to tenderize meat. Since it ‘breaks down’ proteins.
- 5. It is diuretic
Pineapple contains 86% water. It is a hydrating food that in addition to nutrients provides us with water.
- 6. It is low in calories
- In addition to the above benefits, fresh pineapples have few calories, you can take them without worries even on a diet. 100 grams of pineapple have about 50 calories.
- 7. It can be prepared in multiple ways
- In juices, smoothies, in salads or on fruit skewers. Also in exotic meat or fish dishes or for desserts. In our case we have use it in our Sweet and sour chicken recipe.
We hope you have enjoyed this Sweet and sour chicken recipe.